Statistics Anyone?By Sara Radicati • Nov 15th, 2012 • Category: Blog
The Radicati Group just released its annual Email Statistics Report, 2012-2016 while the report is not just about email it provides an interesting perspective on the growth of email and other collaboration technologies such as instant messaging and social networking. Some key excerpts from the report include:
- The total number of worldwide email accounts is expected to increase from 3.3 billion accounts in 2012 to over 4.3 billion accounts by year-end 2016. This represents an average annual growth rate of 6% over the next four years.
- Nearly half of worldwide email users are in the Asia Pacific region. Asia Pacific, is the most populous region in the world, and is home to China and India, two of the largest Internet populations. Europe accounts for about 22% of worldwide email users, while North America has about 14% of worldwide email users. Rest of World (RoW) accounts for the remaining 14% of worldwide email users.
- Consumer email accounts, which are freely available from large portals and ISPs, make up the majority of worldwide email accounts. In 2012, consumer email accounts represent 75% of worldwide mailboxes, while corporate (i.e. business) email accounts represent 25% of worldwide mailboxes. Over the next four years, we expect corporate email accounts to increase at a faster pace than consumer email accounts, as organizations continue to extend email services to employees who may not have had access to email in the past.
- Instant Messaging (IM) is continuing to growth in popularity, with both consumers and corporate users. In 2012, the number of worldwide IM accounts will total over 2.7 billion. This figure is expected to grow at an average annual rate of 6% over the next four years, and reach 3.4 billion by year-end 2016.
- Social Networking sites have shown explosive growth in the last couple of years. In 2012, the total number of worldwide social networking accounts is over 2.7 billion. This figure is expected to grow to over 4.3 billion by year-end 2016.
- The Mobile Email market has continued to expand over the last year. Growth within this market can be attributed to both consumer and business users who are increasingly accessing their email accounts from their mobile devices, particular Android-based and Apple iOS devices. The number of users that use a mobile device for both personal and professional purposes has lead to a significant increase in the number of mobile email users around the world. In 2012, worldwide mobile email users total 730 million. Currently, only 34% of email users access their email via a mobile device.
For more information and some cool trends tables download the report’s Executive Summary.